Friday, April 19, 2013

Strawberry & Honey Oatmeal Muffins


The Mediterranean has lulled me into a state of tranquil bliss. After my two weeks of crazy travel, this is exactly what I needed. I am staying with the most wonderful hosts, taking dance classes again, going on mountain hikes, spending long afternoons lounging in the sun and reading, and trying to shake that feeling of "oh my god I am doing nothing productive I should feel so guilty let me think myself into a state of unnecessary stress." I've been told by the Cypriots that that is so American. I am finally learning the difficult lesson of how to relax.

I'll write more on the actual details of my adventures in Cyprus later this week- there are people who only know it as this random tiny island where the economy isn't doing so hot right now, when obviously there is so much more to it. But for now let's talk about food.


Muffins, more specifically.

I'm trying to rebalance my eating habits while I'm here. I feel like all I consume while traveling is bread, bread, chocolate, wine and more bread. Okay that's an exaggeration, but when you're eating on a budget and a hostel offers free rolls for breakfast, why not stash a bunch in your purse for lunch and an afternoon snack?

Needless to say, I was starved for fresh fruits and veggies. So now while I'm settled in for a few weeks, I'm back to happily eating a lot of salad, smoothies and stir fries.

However, I also really missed baking. Hence the birth of these fairly healthy, fruit-filled sunny morning muffins. Enjoy with a mug of green tea and feel renewed.



Strawberry & Honey Oatmeal Muffins

¾ cup spelt flour
½ cup rolled oats
1 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
2 eggs
¼ cup olive oil
½ cup honey
½ tsp vanilla
2 tbsp rice milk (or whatever milk you want)
1 cup chopped strawberries

Preheat your oven to 350º F (175º C) and spray a muffin tin with cooking spray. In a large bowl, combine the flour, oats, baking powder and salt. In a medium bowl whisk together the eggs, oil, honey, vanilla and milk. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and stir just until combined. Fold in the strawberries and pour the batter into your prepared pan, ¾ of the way full in each cup. Bake for about 20 minutes, or until golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean. 



1 comment:

  1. There is still snow on the ground from where I am writing-- but the fresh strawberries are arriving in the stores anyway. These look so refreshing and so full of the promise of spring, that I think I must make them this weekend! Lovely photos too.

    ReplyDelete